With Doula Sabia Wade
Did you know that women of colour are at 3-4 times greater risk of dying in childbirth in North America than white women? And it has nothing to do with their socioeconomic status, education and so on. This is a major problem, one that white people — especially white providers– need to be paying attention to. Doula Sabia Wade (@thebalckdoula on IG) Joins us today to talk about why this is happening and what we can do TODAY to help make a difference!
Sabia is a Black and Queer Full Spectrum Doula, Doula Business Coach and Reproductive Justice Advocate located in San Diego, CA. In 2015, she began as a volunteer doula with The Prison Birth Project. In her role as a volunteer doula, she assisted incarcerated and formerly incarcerated parents, as well as parents in recovery. In 2018, she decided to quit her day job and create a sustainable and abundant life in a meaningful way. She is now the Executive Director of For The Village, a nonprofit that provides doula services to low income and marginalized people in San Diego County, and owner of Birthing Advocacy Doula Trainings, where she trains full-spectrum doulas all over the world.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- What it means to have privilege
- What microaggressions are and how they’re harmful
- How to be aware of your own privilege or biases
- Ways that implicit bias impacts our medical systems
- The elevated risks for women of colour during labour and postpartum
- Ways you can be an ally and help people of colour
CONNECT WITH ERICA
- Erica | Happy as a Mother Website
- Happy as a Mother on IG
- Happy as a Mother on FB
- Happy as a Mother on Pinterest
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org