with Melissa & Doug Co-Founder & Author Melissa Bernstein
From the outside, everyone saw her as a successful woman and mother. Melissa met her partner when she was 19, had six children, and co-founded a well-known global toy company. But her happiness was far from the truth as she battled depression and kept it hidden for many years. Melissa was feeling smothered and resentment was building as she was sacrificing her own dreams to serve others. Join Melissa and I as we talk about her personal journey with depression, how she was able to become the woman and mother her kids needed, and why finding and accepting her true self was so important.
Melissa Bernstein, along with her husband Doug, is the Co-Founder of the toy company Melissa & Doug, which has created over 5,000 children’s products and sold billions of dollars of toys since its inception. Raised by educators, Melissa and Doug started the business in their garage in 1988, and they’ve been on a mission ever since to provide open-ended, inventive, non-technologically driven playthings for young children. Throughout Melissa’s remarkable career, she kept secret her lifelong battle with severe depression and anxiety. She reveals her struggles in LIFELINES, her first book, which she wrote to help others who are also suffering. Melissa’s book heralds the launch of LifeLines.com, an online ecosystem she and Doug are underwriting to support those seeking support, guidance, and community on their mental health journeys. Melissa lives in Connecticut with Doug and their six children.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- The reality of the adjustment to motherhood
- What it was like for Melissa to build a company while raising her family
- How martyrdom affects you as a mother
- The challenges of depression and anxiety
- Advice for women who have hidden struggles (even though they might appear to be successful)
- Importance of following your own passions and desire
CONNECT WITH ERICA
- Erica | Happy as a Mother Website
- Happy as a Mother on IG
- Happy as a Mother on FB
- Happy as a Mother on Pinterest
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org